Tax deadlines for quarterly estimated payments in 2021
The IRS requires quarterly estimated tax payments from many people whose income isn’t subject to payroll withholding taxes (usually the self-employed, independent contractors or people with investment earnings). For estimated taxes, the answer to “when are taxes due?” varies: The year is divided into four payment periods, and each period has its own payment due date.
Here’s a look:
|If you earned income during this period||Estimated tax payment deadline|
|Sept. 1 – Dec. 31, 2020||Jan. 15, 2021|
|Jan. 1 – Mar. 31, 2021||April 15|
|April 1 – May 31, 2021||June 15|
|June 1 – Aug. 31, 2021||Sept. 15|
|Sept. 1 – Dec. 31, 2021||Jan. 15, 2022|
- Filing Deadlines
- January 31: Deadline for W-2 and 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC
- February 1: Deadline to file Form 940 Federal Unemployment Tax
- March 15: Deadline for S Corp. (Form 1120S) and Partnership (Form 1065) tax returns
- April 15: Deadline to file taxes without an extension.
- October 15: Deadline for filing extension on tax return.